Transfer Completion/Ongoing Care
- Communicate with pediatric practice confirming transfer into adult practice and consult with pediatric provider(s), as needed.
- Assist young adult to connect with adult specialists and other support services, as needed.
- Continue with ongoing care management tailored to each young adult.
- Elicit feedback from young adult to assess experience with adult health care.
- Build ongoing and collaborative partnerships with pediatric primary and specialty care providers.
Confirming transfer completion, coordinating transfer to adult specialists, and assessing young adult's experience with transition support are all part of the sixth element in these health care transition quality recommendations. Confirming with the pediatric practice that the adult provider has taken on responsibility for the young adult's health care is necessary. Since many young adults may transfer to an adult primary care provider first, helping them to select new adult specialist providers may be necessary. To evaluate the success of the transition process and the young adult's experience with care, having a mechanism to obtain and incorporate the feedback six months after the first visit will improve the practice's approach to integrating young adults into the practice.